Saturday 28 March 2015

Cutting my pieces

I am a real perfectionist when it comes to using my material - I hate wastage and so I am always looking at the pattern to see if I can save on their instructions.
It is often possible to make significant savings as. With this pattern I found that if I subcut part of the material wof and then cut lof I can use fabric better.

When cutting the diamonds I would start a run off with the pattern on the strip and then for the next use the ruler to do the next by simply aligning at 5'' along.
I take real care to ensure it is well aligned and every 4th diamond I will double check with the template. I find this easier and just as precise.



then I have a look at any left over from each cut and look to see if any of the other cuts can be made there. 

I do this prior to cutting and even draw out how I can cut.
I always stick to the direction the pattern prescribe but not always to the suggestions on how to cut.

Also I found using batiks that it was sometimes difficult to tell front from back of fabric, to ensure I got it right I would identify front and back before cutting and then carefully place all cuts the right way up and pin them together with the pin on top. That way I know which way to turn them. 



As this pattern has 8 different fabrics and I knew that when sewing being able to refer to The individuals via their letter A-H I would take a small cut of each and stick that to a piece of paper next to their letter then when I am following the instructions to assemble the blocks.



I also write down on same piece of paper how many I have cut of each size - this is maybe me being silly but I like to check and double check šŸ˜Š and tick them off as I cut them. 

Finally I could not resist laying out part of the pattern just to start getting a feel for the final project.

However I will put them all back in their stacks and pierce the blocks according to the instructions.





No comments:

Post a Comment